It's the first time I've dropped by for a while (the break was nuts), but while I usually sneak away without saying anything, I couldn't do that tonight.
I really love the way you play with composition, the shots you pick out that tell the stories you want to tell. I do enjoy your interaction with colour, but it's in the tonal composition that I find you irresistable! Perhaps that's down to your gift with simplicity, and even spareness and starkness, as with your silhouettes. I find your images to be most eloquent when they have one dominant dynamic - the birds and the pier, in this post, or the swirling layered lattice of leaves backlit (toplit?) and pierced by the sunburst at the top of the post below. (And wow, wordy. Sorry.)
The more balanced compositions don't work for me nearly as much, for the most part, I think because they don't generate the same energy. (Although the shot of the trees through the two windows intrigues me, as though the very symmetry of it hides something more mysterious, which I can't get to.) The more off-kilter blocking entices me back, even when it's relatively still; with the more centred images I mostly feel I've seen all they have to offer, and I'm not drawn back to them much at all.
Just giving you my interaction with your gorgeous pictures, not really a critique. It seems like you're equally intrigued by both kinds of compostition, and multivalent dynamics as well as the more simple, bold ones. I'm glad you love playing with all of them, because it means we get such beautiful pictures!
Looking forward to seeing you in class again soon. Say hi to the lovely wife for me, and tell her the peanutbutter cookies were absolutely delicious :)
1 comment:
It's the first time I've dropped by for a while (the break was nuts), but while I usually sneak away without saying anything, I couldn't do that tonight.
I really love the way you play with composition, the shots you pick out that tell the stories you want to tell. I do enjoy your interaction with colour, but it's in the tonal composition that I find you irresistable! Perhaps that's down to your gift with simplicity, and even spareness and starkness, as with your silhouettes. I find your images to be most eloquent when they have one dominant dynamic - the birds and the pier, in this post, or the swirling layered lattice of leaves backlit (toplit?) and pierced by the sunburst at the top of the post below. (And wow, wordy. Sorry.)
The more balanced compositions don't work for me nearly as much, for the most part, I think because they don't generate the same energy. (Although the shot of the trees through the two windows intrigues me, as though the very symmetry of it hides something more mysterious, which I can't get to.) The more off-kilter blocking entices me back, even when it's relatively still; with the more centred images I mostly feel I've seen all they have to offer, and I'm not drawn back to them much at all.
Just giving you my interaction with your gorgeous pictures, not really a critique. It seems like you're equally intrigued by both kinds of compostition, and multivalent dynamics as well as the more simple, bold ones. I'm glad you love playing with all of them, because it means we get such beautiful pictures!
Looking forward to seeing you in class again soon. Say hi to the lovely wife for me, and tell her the peanutbutter cookies were absolutely delicious :)
Post a Comment