16 January 2011

Spring Semester 2011

This spring, I will be doing an internship with my church, New Community Covenant Church in Logan Square. I will be helping the church take steps toward understanding private and public education in our neighborhood and learning how we can serve the families and teachers in our community.

Since Jessica is a teacher in our neighborhood, this gives me a chance to learn from her what it means to be a teacher in Chicago. Already, she's been helping me ton helping me understand education in the United States. I'm excited to be passionate about the things my wife is passionate about. Another part of this internship that I look forward to is my reading list.

Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Friere
Beyond the Bake Sale: The Essential Guide to Family-School Partnerships 
by Henderson, Mapp, Johnson and Davies
To Know As We Are Known: Education As a Spiritual Journey by Parker Palmer
Holler if You Hear Me: The Education of a Teacher and His Students by Gregory Michie

Hopefully, I'll be able to use my blog as a platform to keep you posted on what I'm learning. I hope this post finds you well.

No comments: